Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Happy birthday Marino Magnason!


As I'm sat here I'm listening to Magnis' accoustic version of 'The Dolphins Cry' ... goosebumps galore ...

10 years ago I was in one of the most popular bands in Iceland. We had a number one hit, two gold records and a platinum one and gigged 250 days a year. The largest indoor gig we played was 2.500 - 3.000 people (I know, it's Iceland, things aren't quite so big). When Metallica came to play about 7.000 people turned up. When Magni came back from his adventures in L.A. and played a gig in a shopping mall, 8.000 people turned up! That's how huge he is in Iceland ... and of course he's got fans all round the world now as there were on avarage 7.000.000 people watching Rockstar:Supernova each night for the last few weeks. So, even though he came in fourth place, he can now make the decision of whether he wants to pursue an international rock music career or not ... not many people in that situation ...

To his credit he's not sure it's what he wants. Just prooves what a down to earth guy he is. He said in an interview the day he came back that he's now tried that lifestyle and in he´s confirmed he has the perfect (yes, he used the word perfect) life in Iceland. 'My heart and family are in Iceland I think he said when he left.' He's engaged to his partner and they've got a son who is one year old today!

Hats off to this man! He'll make a good role model whether that's in Iceland or on an international platform.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tóti Freysson said...

I will now stop mithering Magni and his family in my blogs but I'll keep an eye on him and his career ... nothing wrong with a bit of national pride ...

1:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home