How could I not mention ...?
Today is another birthday, closer to my own life. Joannas grandad was born this day 98 years ago ... yes, I kid thee not, 98 years and he still goes out for his daily walks.
I think Jim and I have a connection ... I'm sure it's that musicians connection as he was a sax player in his younger days and at some point had to make the decision wether to turn pro or work down the pits. As all sensible Hulmes/Burtons would do he put his family first and decided to work down the pits. I believe he did so for 51 years if I remember his story correctly.
Working down the pits (for all you Icelanders) means working in the coal mines in Britain ... you know the ones that Thatcher closed in the eighties ... yep ... Joannas family was right at the heart of all this as she comes from a long line of Yorkshire miners on both sides (her father Brian, his brothers and his father all worked down the pits) and I'm so proud to be taken in as one of them ... I'm hardly worthy ...
When I sit and talk to these (real) men about their life I feel very humbled and think, what am I going to tell my following generations? Surely it won't be as impressive as this? These men are a part of British history that the whole world watched unfold (and unravel once the Iron Lady got to power).
Aside from that Brian has tought me alot when it comes to any sort of building and manual labour skills, carpentry, plumbing, gardening etc. Anything you need to do-it-yourself ... that and all the tools he's given me and the few years I've known all these people really makes me proud. I am proud to be a part of this family ... that's for sure. And I'm proud for this family to be part of my family ... which is so different, yet so alike ...
Love
I think Jim and I have a connection ... I'm sure it's that musicians connection as he was a sax player in his younger days and at some point had to make the decision wether to turn pro or work down the pits. As all sensible Hulmes/Burtons would do he put his family first and decided to work down the pits. I believe he did so for 51 years if I remember his story correctly.
Working down the pits (for all you Icelanders) means working in the coal mines in Britain ... you know the ones that Thatcher closed in the eighties ... yep ... Joannas family was right at the heart of all this as she comes from a long line of Yorkshire miners on both sides (her father Brian, his brothers and his father all worked down the pits) and I'm so proud to be taken in as one of them ... I'm hardly worthy ...
When I sit and talk to these (real) men about their life I feel very humbled and think, what am I going to tell my following generations? Surely it won't be as impressive as this? These men are a part of British history that the whole world watched unfold (and unravel once the Iron Lady got to power).
Aside from that Brian has tought me alot when it comes to any sort of building and manual labour skills, carpentry, plumbing, gardening etc. Anything you need to do-it-yourself ... that and all the tools he's given me and the few years I've known all these people really makes me proud. I am proud to be a part of this family ... that's for sure. And I'm proud for this family to be part of my family ... which is so different, yet so alike ...
Love


1 Comments:
your words are very special..as are our families.xx
Post a Comment
<< Home