Running away from music
Good morning everyone,
Going to talk about running today. I've been running for a while now and although I took a break whilst we were in England (and the week after that!), I've started again and it's great! There is a problem though. This knee pain keeps coming back and at the moment I can only run for about 10 minutes and then I have to stop so the pain and damage done doesn't increase. That sucks, man! Now, I've done some self-diagnosis on the internet and believe I have a very common running injury called 'Illiotibial Band Syndrome' (IBS).
The Illiotibial band is a band of strong tissue that begins on the outer side of the pelvis and attaches to the outer part of the knee. Excessive strain can lead to the tendon shorting which causes the band to rub on the knee cap and produces pain. This can happen with a sudden change in exercise soooo ...
... two years ago I didn't do any running at all. Then I went out to run with my neighbour, didn't do any stretches and only had a minimal warm-up session. That, along with trying to keep up with him meant that I did some damage.
Thankfully, IBS is easily treatable. What I need to do is warm-up, stretch before and after running, put ice on after exercise and wear good, supportive running shoes and knee support. Currently I run in my 'two-dolla-Aldis-own-trainers'. When we get to England I should be able to afford some decent shoes and knee support. Until then, it's all about warming up, stretching and cooling down.
Also I need to strengthen my thigh, hip and lower back muscles. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of this annoying little pain-in-the-knee and do some proper running. Whilst recovering I should think about doing some cycling or swimming instead. Problem ... can't justify going swimming three times a week without taking my family and cycling is a bit dodgy in the icy weather now upon us here on the icecube we call Iceland. (The teperature is down from -7°C yesterday to -8°C this morning. Brrrrrrr!!!!
Last gig with band tomorrow :-(. I've not been able to play music at all other than with the band since moving to Reykjavik as there isn't anywhere in our house for me to sit and play without disturbing everyone (I'm a misunderstood artist in my house, you see ... booo hooo! no one understands what I am playing ... booo hooo!). It wouldn't be fair either to play at my in-laws as it will be even more crowded soooo ... we'll see how it goes after this gig ... maybe it's time to call it a day? The instrumens are being packed away in storage so they won't be accessable until we've found ourselves a house to unpack everything in anyway.
On that depressing note,
Love
Going to talk about running today. I've been running for a while now and although I took a break whilst we were in England (and the week after that!), I've started again and it's great! There is a problem though. This knee pain keeps coming back and at the moment I can only run for about 10 minutes and then I have to stop so the pain and damage done doesn't increase. That sucks, man! Now, I've done some self-diagnosis on the internet and believe I have a very common running injury called 'Illiotibial Band Syndrome' (IBS).
The Illiotibial band is a band of strong tissue that begins on the outer side of the pelvis and attaches to the outer part of the knee. Excessive strain can lead to the tendon shorting which causes the band to rub on the knee cap and produces pain. This can happen with a sudden change in exercise soooo ...
... two years ago I didn't do any running at all. Then I went out to run with my neighbour, didn't do any stretches and only had a minimal warm-up session. That, along with trying to keep up with him meant that I did some damage.
Thankfully, IBS is easily treatable. What I need to do is warm-up, stretch before and after running, put ice on after exercise and wear good, supportive running shoes and knee support. Currently I run in my 'two-dolla-Aldis-own-trainers'. When we get to England I should be able to afford some decent shoes and knee support. Until then, it's all about warming up, stretching and cooling down.
Also I need to strengthen my thigh, hip and lower back muscles. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of this annoying little pain-in-the-knee and do some proper running. Whilst recovering I should think about doing some cycling or swimming instead. Problem ... can't justify going swimming three times a week without taking my family and cycling is a bit dodgy in the icy weather now upon us here on the icecube we call Iceland. (The teperature is down from -7°C yesterday to -8°C this morning. Brrrrrrr!!!!
Last gig with band tomorrow :-(. I've not been able to play music at all other than with the band since moving to Reykjavik as there isn't anywhere in our house for me to sit and play without disturbing everyone (I'm a misunderstood artist in my house, you see ... booo hooo! no one understands what I am playing ... booo hooo!). It wouldn't be fair either to play at my in-laws as it will be even more crowded soooo ... we'll see how it goes after this gig ... maybe it's time to call it a day? The instrumens are being packed away in storage so they won't be accessable until we've found ourselves a house to unpack everything in anyway.
On that depressing note,
Love


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home