Friday, November 24, 2006

Celebrity gossip (it sends a chill down my spine)

Is it just me, or does Michael Jackson seem a bit ... umm ... odd? Like ... he named his two sons Prince Jackson and Prince Jackson II ... and then he calls one of them 'blanket', presumably named after an item in his house! I don't know, maybe the other one is called 'pillow'? So, if you think money buys you happiness just look at Micheal Joseph Jackson ... he's rich as anything and he's not happy with himself ... he wants to be a middle east white woman! Shame, I was a big fan when I was a kid ... wore the glove, danced the dance etc. etc. ... Now I just find him creepy ... I did even before his infamous trial.

He's not the only celebrity that has strayed away from reality ... although he's probably gone further than anyone. Another, in my opinion, is Tom Cruise. Now, yesterday me and Joanna had a moment celebrating our last night alone in the house on Framnesvegur. We had a meal and watched TV. The only thing on was Entertainment Tonight ... this is an American celebrity gossip program. Just the kind of stuff that turns me green and makes me feel ill whilst winding me up no end. In it they dedicated more or less the whole show to the wedding of Tom and Katie Holmes ... DON'T DO IT KATIE! .... AHHH ... TOO LATE! Sorry, I'm rambling! My reason for finding Tom Cruise odd is, aside from his egocentric erratic behaviour, is the Scientology bit.

I can understand people would gravitate towards a belief that says people are 'immortal spiritual beings' (called a thetan) and will continue to live past the death of the body. Most people have some reservations about the process of dying and this would be a comfort. And if you go through the dying stage often enough your spirit eventually finds its true form of spiritual freedom and you become an Operating Thetan or OT. In my book OT means Occupational Therapist but hey, I might be wrong!

The bit I don't get is how intellegent people like Tom and John Travolta and many more can buy into things like the 'Silent birth and infant care.' I.e. a woman must give birth to her children without any sort of medication and without making any noise! Now, I'm married to a tough woman who gave birth to our two children without using any sort of medication or pain relief but If I'd have told her she had to remain silent throughout, I would not be here to tell the tale! That's just silly! Also, they mustn't breast feed their children and must cut off all connections with friends and family who critisize the church. Members are also pressured into giving large amounts of money to the church and the church commissions 'operations' to wiretap and infiltrate government agencies and individuals that critisise the church. Check out information on Operation Snow White, Operation PC Freakout and Fair Game. It's scary stuff.

Other scary celebrity stuff is the recent racist rantings of Michael Richards, aka Kramer. You can google it because I can't be bothered to write about it ... all I can say is that if that is the stuff that comes out of your mouth when you loose your cool ... then that is the stuff that is going on in your head, even when you stay cool. Appology or not, Michael Richards is a backward thinking racist who is scared of a multicultural society. He should move to Iceland ... then again, Icelandic society appears racist because of it's ignorance to other cultures. Michael Richards is just racist!

Speaking of Iceland ... I was sat in the lunch area at work the other day and there was a conversation about immigrants going on next to me. These two men were discussing what can be done to help people integrate ... learning Icelandic, teaching the Icelandic customs, learning Icelandic life-skills, learning how Icelanders act ... basically ... learning to be an Icelander. This is fine and dandy except that one thing they never considered was what do Icelanders need to do? How about learning to live in a multi-cultural society, learning to live in an international world rather than on an isolated island, learning to show tolerance, learning that communities can co-exist despite talking different languages and learning that Icelandic with a different accent isn't a bad thing but will take the Icelandic language from being black and white to having colour and tone ... all variations. Think about how dearly the british love all their different accents, liverpool, manchester, cockney, indian, chinese ... it's been the basis of many theatre, comedy and drama scetches. The start to great friendships. It's just what Iceland needs ... they just don't know it yet ...

So, there you go ... my whinge of the day

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home