Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A great weekend! Missing the beast already!

Took the day off yesterday to sort out all sorts of moving issues ... that's why you've not heard from me ... sorry! What a cool weekend we had!

Friday night I played my last gig with 'Menn Ársins' and had a great time! I was determined to enjoy the playing and I did ... we'd not played for a while so it took us a couple of songs to get going but hey ... maybe that was just me. In fact I hadn't touched an instrument since our last gig and during a couple of the songs I got cramps in both hands and they just folded up in a wierd way ... I don't think anyone noticed though! It was great fun though!

Saturday was the usual morning routine ... Joanna and Jolyon went to Saturday school and me and Elijah went to my parents. Joanna said it was the worst day of teaching as she had eight students that did not want to be there! They all got a good telling off ... Joanna style! I know what that is like from experience ... it's something to be avoided ;-) Saturday afternoon we had a big going away party for family and friends. For a couple that don't know many people we sure managed to 'pack 'em in' at my parents house ... I think there were about 70 people that came through the door ... and not everyone made it! Of course it helps to have a large extended family and to be at the age where your friends all show up with spouses and two kids ... it ups the numbers a bit. The day was finished with Jolyon having a sleepover at his friends, Elijah having a sleepover at my parents and me and Joanna having the earliest night in the history of early nights ... child free!

During this party a family from Akranes drove down to have a look at the Beast as I had advertised it for sale (boooo! ... hoooo!). They got to borrow the car and give it the once over ... they want to buy it and hopefully that transaction will be finished by lunchtime today ... I am going to miss that car. Especially ...

... as Iceland is now covered in 3 feet of snow. Yep! When we woke up on sunday everything was white ... people were out shovelling and anyone who didn't have a 4wd was busy being late to work or stuck sideways in the next pile of snow, stopping traffic and making sure everyone else was late to work. The Beast sailed through all the snow ... with the help of a bit of fancy Freysson style driving. (Joanna says I'm very skilled at driving in the snow and Joanna never lies and is always right :-) ...). Everything is still covered and although it isn't snowing at the moment the snow isn't going anywhere as it is still very cold ... about -4°C this morning, which is actually warmer than it has been.

Busy days ahead! On Friday Debs is coming to visit for the weekend which we are all looking forward to! On Monday Debs goes and the movers arrive. We will hopefully be moving into my parents house on that day. Not only have we taken over one of their cars but we're going to take over their house as well! On the Friday after that our cat, Joy, flies off to England to the Quarantine kennels. Unfortunately she has to stay in quarantine till April but we can visit. Then on the Sunday after that we all fly over to England ... blimey! It's gone by so quick this last month. It's all a bit scary now ... a bit real ...

We will miss our family and friends in Iceland but look forward to starting a new life (again!). Hopefully we'll take all the positive stuff we've gained in Iceland with us and be able to settle down to a nice routine in Yorkshire.

I would like to end this blog with some wonderful words from my friend and pianist in Menn Ársins Halli, off his blog ... just to blow my own trumpet a bit more ... boost my ego ...

Well, it’s time to say goodbye – Thorarinn Freysson, bassist for Menn Ársins, is moving countries along with his family to England and at the same time abandoning the Menn Ársins camp. It will be hard to fill the shoes of this great musician, and I doubt one can find a more easy-going bassist than Tóti. [ … ] My dear Tóti, just remember that once a man of the year, always a man of the year, unlike the title of miss freezing plant 1985 …

Love you all!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home