Thursday, November 23, 2006

One-way-ticket

We got a really positive e-mail from Jolyons teacher yesterday saying how he is a completely different boy, so kind and caring and clever and fun to be around ... I could go on and on ... We've definately got the old Jolyon back. He's grown in character and inner strength in the way he has dealt with this negative experience he's come through. I am sure now that the experience itself will no longer take away from his childhood, but enhance it, and his life in the future.

Elijah and his childminder Hulda (or du-du as Elijah calls her) will really miss each other. Hulda, if you and your family want to move to England you've got all our support!

I went to the cinema last night with my parents which was great fun. We saw an Icelandic film called children. As a teenager and young man I always felt that Icelandic actors were very theatrical and that this didn't transfer well onto the silver screen. Just prior to my leaving for England some actors, from the 80's generation, were breaking through (Baltasar Kormákur, Ingvar Sigurðsson and Hilmir Snær Guðnason to name a few) who were really good when it came to less theatrical, more realistic acting.

Since being in England a new generation of actors, my age and younger, have come onto the scene. Since I've lived away for so long I hadn't seen any of these people act and I was blown away by their skills last night. The film was a 'low budget' artsy, black and white film ... very dark, violent and real. It was held together by a group of amazing actors of my generation. I have to say though that in the films I have seen recently the older generation of actors has done no worse than my own generation ... I guess serious cinema is just such a relatively young artform in Iceland. I have made myself a promise now to keep a much closer eye on Icelandic films whilst living in England. So ... lots of Icelandic DVD´s for christmas and birthday!

Yesterday as we were all driving home there was a modern version of an old Stevie Wonder song on the radio. I forget which song. I commented something about the guitar playing being very good in it. Joanna said: 'You'll have to find a band in England to play with.' She's right! All this jibber-jabber and poppycock about giving up music is not realistic ... it's just depressive rambling. Playing music has set such strong roots in my soul that I can hardly be without it! That is to say, it keeps me mentally well and I get more vulnerable when I am not playing and lean more towards negative thinking during those long periods of not creating music ... covers or originals. So just remember folks, when I start talking about giving up music or something akin to that ... it's unhealthy negative thinking and has no place here! I will try to remember that but as Joanna knows oh, so well ... I frequently need reminding!

Love

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

''thats right..I'll have no jibber-jabber in my household..!''(you have to be a Boston Legal fan to get the joke..)

1:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home